Back in the Saddle

on Friday, July 2, 2010
The jury has spoken, I have decided, and I know what I'm writing.

It's Effulgent Corruption. Yep, I went back to it. It has the most planning, the best ideas (so far), and I think will be the easiest to write. It'll be a longer task than a 70k YA novel, but I think I'm up to it.

It took me long enough to realize this is what I should write, but an email from my friend Eric solidified it. I sent him the first chapter of Graffiti, as well as the first chapter of Effulgent Corruption, without any instructions except "here's some stuff I'm working on." The general impression I got was EC was a better bet, which is what I'd secretly been telling myself this entire time, but I refused to admit it.

So yeah, I'm back to being an epic fantasy author. Go me? Plus, it's both a gritty and dark book, which is fun because I have the unrestrained ability to be a total jerk to my characters. Which I will be.

I also went for a "Writing Walk" for the first time in weeks, and it did me a world of good. I know now where the next few chapters in EC will go, and once I pass those, I'm sure I'll think of something.

So, that is it! Wrote about 1.1k in about thirty minutes, hit a chapter break, and will write more tonight. Goal is to get really into this book so I can get back into the 3-5k a day groove.

In other news, I just chipped a crown while writing this. I guess every good thing has to be countered by something bad, but whatever. Screw you, fate!

Expect Effulgent Corruption updates as they come.

2 comments:

Derek Bown said...

Good. Stick to Epic Fantasy. I'm the one trying to carve my niche as a YA writer!

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Post a Comment