Rejection, hoops, more writing

on Tuesday, November 29, 2011
So I'm in that stage of manuscript submissions where people have requested partials/fulls, and they start rejecting those. Which, honestly, is somewhat more painful then when people just reject queries. When they reject a query at least I can blame the stupid query. When they reject an actual manuscript, that means they read it and didn't like it, which also means the blame falls on the writing itself. That can be a little rough.

There are still a handful out (some with partials, some with just queries) and I've honestly seen more success with Steelgods than any other batch of submissions, but it doesn't make the entire experience of jumping through hoops any less stressful. It also is a stronger revelation on why so many prospective authors turn to eBooks: it's aggravating to have (what you think is) a quality product only to have it halted at the various stages of approval. I can certainly see why this is beneifical: the more people that see it and are allowed to make changes, the (potentially) better the manuscript will become. But the whole notion of having to jump through all these hoops just to get through the door is aggravating, and makes the whole thing seem more of an impossible task than it probably actually is.

Not that I would know. I haven't sold anything yet; as far as my personal experience goes, it IS impossible. But that isn't going to stop me from keeping on trying.

On a more pleasant topic, my NaNoWriMo inspired vacation is going to be officially over on the 1st, and then it's business as usually. And by that I mean a blitz of writing Death's Aria in one month (or less!). I've spent a good half of November not thinking about writing at all (mostly just Skyrim), cleaning the pallet more or less. Now I'm chomping at the bit to get started again. Book number eight will be finished before the year is up, to be sure. I also consider it to be the most "marketable," to be honest, which means I might push up it's editing schedule to get it back out.

Back to a less pleasant topic: the future of Steelgods. There isn't much I've decided on yet (as I said, it's still out with a lot of people, I'm just thinking way ahead) but if nobody picks it up it makes writing the rest of the books in the series pretty much useless from a financial standpoint (unless I decide to epublish them). Because I like the story so much I honestly think I'd still go through and finish out the series, but it is a thing to consider.

That's it from me. Back to killing dragons and sniping mammoths from the top of a mountain.

2 comments:

Joe Vasicek said...

Yeah, not having to deal with the circus antics of the so-called "query-go-round" is definitely a perk of indie publishing. But that doesn't mean that you don't have to deal with rejection: in some ways, getting a one-star review is a lot worse than getting a rejection from an editor. And then there's the ever-present problem of obscurity, and how to get noticed.

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

I get to do my own "query-go-round" really soon. SO EXCITED.

And yeah, the actual MS rejections hurt more. I just try to always look forward. Once the queries are out, forget about it, move on. Then when nothing happens, oh well, look as this EVEN BETTER project I have, suckas!

I have to keep to standalones... like with Steelgods, I'm not writing any more of my series unless I sell book 1, and that makes a part of me really sad. But you can't break in with book 2 of a series...

Good luck with Death's Aria, I look forward to reading it. ;)

Post a Comment