After a quick edit, including rewriting a chapter and doing a basic language edit (too much swearing), I have created a monstrosity I'm willing to let people see.
Which is where you come in. I need alpha readers!
For those not knowing, here is what an alpha/beta reader is. According to Wikipedia:
[An Alpha Reader] is a person who reads a written work, generally fiction, with what has been described as "a critical eye, with the aim of improving grammar, spelling, characterization, and general style of a story prior to its release to the general public." (Source)
Well, that about sums it up. I need people to read it and provide feedback. Comments on a pdf or word document will be very helpful, but let me explain a few key points.
- If you are selected to be an alpha reader (don't worry, it won't be hard), you'll need to read the book within a timely manner, and provide feedback.
- I honestly don't care how much feedback you give, but more is better. If you give detailed comments, please either put the comment with it in the page, or tell me the page number. Having to dig through my whole book because you know a grammar error is there isn't helpful.
- I have a list of about 10-15 questions that I will send with an alpha manuscript. If you don't give any feedback at all, I expect you to at least answer these questions. Don't worry, they aren't hard or anything. But they DO need to be answered if you agree to this.
- I will be printing off probably five (5) hard copies and binding them for distribution. If you live in the Provo/Orem area, then you can be eligible for the paper copies. However, it you can read on a computer screen without it giving you eye-strain, headaches, etc. please leave the copies for others. If you do get a hard copy, please try and keep note-taking in the copy to a minimum. If you can put comments on a computer, another sheet of paper, or even post-it notes, that would be helpful (then I won't have to print out more). If you absolutely have to write on a hard copy, I'm sure we can arrange something. Specify in your comments which you'd prefer.
- Keep in mind I'm trying to get published here. You can be as harsh as you want. If you think the story sucks, tell me so (but be sure to tell me why). I won't have you forever if you tell me how abismal my book is.
- Also note that, just because you say something, that doesn't mean I'll change it. I still have creative control.
That's about it! If you'd like to be an alpha reader, you can either shoot me an email if you know me personally, or comment in this blog space with your contact information (aka email) and I'll be in touch. Thanks for all your help, and keep writing/reading!
-Tues, June 8