Word Vomit - Barfing my way out of a slump

on Tuesday, June 22, 2010
I'm currently in a rut, mostly because of my post a whiles back concerning my desire to be both a YA and Epic Fantasy writer. Also because the tension of sitting on Paradise Seekers while alpha readers are getting to it is KILLING ME. I already got a lot of feedback, some good, some negative, and most of the negative is actually concerning the same few things, and they are issues I know how to address. Point being: it's close to being ready to send off to agents/editors, I'm just sitting on my hands for a few more weeks for more feedback.

Which drives me crazy. I really want to get this out because I really think it has a chance.

As stated in the previous post, I didn't write much this week, returning to the rut mentioned in paragraph one. However, I've developed a "genius plan" that I'm certain will help me with this.

Tomorrow is Writing Wednesday (moved from Writing Tuesday because the semester change messed up classes), and it'll be Writing Mondays after this week. Anyway, the point is I'm going to do something I haven't done...well, ever. I'm going to write a bunch of first chapters, rapid fire, with all my ideas I can think of for interesting stories. This is regardless of genre (though they'll probably mostly be YA), and I'm not going to stop until I find something I like. If, after a few hours, I really hate them all, I've made a solemn oath to go back to Effulgent Corruption whether I like it or not.

I should be editing Where Gods and Mortals Dance, but I haven't been in the editing mood...(actually I haven't been in the anything mood except Xbox). Plus, I'm focusing more on Paradise Seekers at this point.

Also, for the first time in a long time, I don't have tentative titles for these books. One is a vampire/detective novel I've wanted to do for a long time, but buried it because of the recent fad. The other is the sci-fi/fantasy hybrid I mentioned previously. There was a third, a YA steampunk with a clockwork god, but we'll see.

Bec and I also brainstormed a few days back about a fantasy novel that took place in a huge canyon, like the world was this enormous chasm that people lived in, at the center of an endless desert (they'd have to live there because that's the only place for water). I thought that idea was AWESOME and might try it out tomorrow too. Maybe I can turn it into YA somehow.

Anyway, just some ramblings about my current state of affairs. I'll be sure to keep you updated. Also, I am about two hours (out of eleven) into Jim Butcher's Summer Knight, the next book in the Dresden files. Expect a review of Grave Peril very soon.

And now, a poem.


Reading Regurgitation

My mind is vomiting through my fingertips,
Spewing sentences onto paper.
My thoughts are a tad ill, you see,
And they don't make Pepto Bismol for the consciousness.

Next thing I know, they gather around,
Like children, curious, at the circus
Cautiously contemplating the camels;
The readers ponder my mind's excrement.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, excrement.

Clockwork god FTW. (Are gods the new fantasy fad?)

I love how you're suddenly so gung-ho into YA. It's cute.

Post a Comment